Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Wollongong
The Weak Become Strong
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ), aka the gentle art, is here for you in Wollongong. The sport came into international prominence during the 1990’s when Brazilian proponents of the sport won tournaments against much larger opponents of various fighting styles and disciplines in the United Fighting Championship (UFC).
BJJ is non-impact grappling or ground fighting used to control and submit a resisting opponent. It involves closing the distance between your rival and using takedown techniques to take him/her to the ground and applying joint locks or choke holds. The essence of BJJ is to use mechanical advantage over strength to overcome another. Mental and physical challenges await you, as you seek to out-think and out-manoeuvre your opponent. Think physical chess.
You Don’t Have to be Strong or Fast or Super Fit and Young
All you need is inner strength. And with that inner strength that all of us have but few draw upon, come rewards and life lessons:
- persistence and dedication pays off
- humility and desensitised to failure (anyone who has trained BJJ knows the “failure” of submitting or “tapping out” in a training session. We all do it. And with “failure” comes learning and growing
- patience… there are no short-cuts
- remain calm and perform under pressure
Aside from the life lessons:
- grappling is a greedy monster that inhales calories
- it’s brain and not just brawn (there’s an enormous number of techniques, moves and counter moves)
- it’s a fun and exciting full body workout
I offer No Gi instruction that’s perfect for beginners. Initially you will learn basic positioning and how to move around an opponent on the ground. This drill is called “Around the World” and is undertaken on a boxing bag lying flat on the floor. And from there it begins.
If you never wish to bullied again, here’s your chance.
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu can Transform You
The lamb becomes the lion.